At our February Nursing and Beyond Meeting the mothers in attendence were asked to contribute a suggetion concerning our relationships with our partners and how to keep them strong. Here is the list we generated:
• Learn what actions show love to your partner; people feel loved in so many different ways.
• Involve yourself in your husband’s work life. Read his professional journals, visit his office, etc. Be part of his career, not just a romantic partner. Ask him questions and listen a lot.
• Make time for your spouse. You will get tired or have other things to do, but your spouse needs you. Sometimes, the other things can just wait.
• Sex does not (and probably should not) be limited to the bedroom!
• Verbalize your expectations instead of getting frustrated and upset because your wants aren’t met.
• Something I’m working on: Be kind!
• Let yourself get angry.
• Most conflicts are miscommunications. Take a deep breath, and try to understand his perspective. What does her really mean, regardless of what he is saying?
• Accept that the marriage or partnership you have today might look very different from the one you had in the beginning. Keep looking for new ways to connect with your partner and help him understand you.
Do you have a suggestion to add? Leave a comment and let us know your best bit of relationship advice.